Ahh, the first day of school. Though this Spring semester's already about 1/3 of the way in, it's my first day as a Student Teacher, and I can't think of enough good things to say about my placement.
I'm currently at Westwood High School in Round Rock, which is the last free exit on 183 until it turns into 45. An instant U-ie and a right turn into the neighborhood will take you to my current home for the remainder of my time as a student.
I left the apartment @ around 7:20 and arrived by 7:45 but didn't have to be present until 8:15, so I chatted with Dad for a little bit about the ongoing car repairs and the cute little Kia they put me in for the time being. I actually pulled into a McDonald's to get a cup of their DE-LICIOUS coffee but soon realized after I'd ordered that I forgot my wallet! I know, what a scatterbrained way to start off my apprenticeship, but I was in such a rush to gather my things that I didn't know which side was up. Needless to say, I finagled my way out of the drive-thru line (with the greatest shame) and drove over to the parking lot to hang out... at least I got a good parking space out of it! :)
When I walked to Missy's room, I knocked (even though she tells me time after time, "Girl, you don't have to knock!") and let myself in -- and found a goodie bag of teacher treasures on my desk! Yes, I've an official desk! I'll have to take a picture of the cute bag later, but it was loaded with assorted post-it notes, colored pens, and a few other relaxation goodies like candles and tea. Wow, I was so surprised and appreciative of her! I'll have to write her a thank you tonight and bring her Starbucks in the morning.
We had a conference period to start off the day, and boy did we need it because Missy was in a frenzy since grades are due tomorrow! One of the most hectic times (other than the first day of school) is the day before grades are due or week prior to a major state testing period like TAKS. That said, I was glad to help Missy with grading and got to input a few grades in the system, which was pretty exciting for me! She also gave me a tour of the school and oriented me to useful resources. Missy's always been so great about introductions, as well, but I meet so many people that I can't seem to remember anyone's name! But it's definitely a delight to meet so many new people who I know can help me jump-start my future and be the best teacher I can be.
I used Dr. Shiring's 3 questions on a notecard:
- I'm in love with/obsessed by...
- I'm good at...
- I'm the one who always...
as my introductory activity to better get to know the kids, and a few of their responses were quite hilarious!
Afterwards, 2nd block worked on a APMC (AP Multiple-Choice) exercise with Macbeth and I am set to teach a mini-lesson on APMC Test-taking Strategies come Thursday to both Pre-AP blocks! :) :) :) I'm using a PPT from last semester @ AHS so it'll be good to get the tips out to my kids so they'll have a better understanding of how to approach taking the test. So my homework for Thursday is to annotate and answer their MC assignment and prepare the test-taking tip presentation.
I also got to have my first lunch in the teacher's lounge with a few of the other English teachers, even Katie's former CT Jennifer, (who was SUPER nice!) and got to chat a ton with Missy throughout the day, so that was nice. She's given me a lot of useful tips on staff members and students and when we went around the school, we missed the principal but Missy warned me that she was a former Aggie (for both her undergrad and graduate degrees) and told me about a few pranks she's pulled in the past, like turning her degrees upside down on the wall or leaving "Hook 'em!" sticky notes on her desk. I do look forward to meeting Becky and hopefully leaving a good impression on her. (As I hope I've done with everyone I've met so far!)
I still need to talk to Missy about working with the Journalism sponsor and helping out with newspaper staff since I'm really interested in getting my certification for that area come June. Nevertheless, she's been very accommodating to me and will probably support it all the way! I'm so lucky to have such a cooperative CT.
I got to meet the cheerleaders today, who Missy also coaches aside from teaching English. They're a lively bunch and a determined to focus solely on their Spring Show (later this March) and perfecting their performance pieces. I believe they had practice until 7pm tonight, so I'll be bringing Missy a nice latte tomorrow morning. Starbucks right off the exit to the school! Score!
It's ten before ten and I'm already tired. I don't know how our kids do it on a daily basis, this 8 - 5 thing. But I'm slowly (but surely) getting the hang of it! Feels good to be a working girl! :)
Always looking forward to the next,
Ms. L
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment